dmsj: (Default)
Prompt: Open Topic

The air is beginning to feel crisp and cool. As I walked earlier, I smelled woodsmoke. The leaves haven't started changing yet, but I can feel it coming. I can feel the wheel turning. I can feel autumn's grasp starting to take hold.

September and October used to be my hardest months, due to some significant Life Things that had happened during those months. Now, they're my favorite. They're still hard, in ways. I still face the possibility of no one celebrating my birthday. I face the loneliness that the coming winter is going to bring. And there will always be memories of loss and hard times, as the days will start to grow shorter and shorter. And yet... I see the beauty in the in-between. Fall and spring have become my favorite seasons. I joke regularly that my perfect world design would included *only* the in-betweens, and neither of the extremes.

What changed? Honestly, it was living where there *was* no autumn, for so many years. In SW Florida, the leaves don't change. Even in northern FL, they don't have vivid color changes. Just green to brownish, then they fall. And I missed it, more than I expected. So now, I don't take it for granted. I have learned to embrace this season. It feels symbolic. Like the world is preparing for ... something. Like I, too, should be preparing for something.

What changes will this autumn bring?

Date: 2026-09-22 12:32 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
gardeningatnight: (Default)
Fall used to be my favorite, and I live where it is GLORIOUS.

But as I've gotten older, I favor spring a little more.

Date: 2026-09-22 03:04 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] humanbeansradio
humanbeansradio: (Default)
I have begun loving autumn. I used to be a summer baby... but now I am experiencing autumn existentially and it sort of makes it a bit more... real and right. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it. Makes me go all waxing philosophical... :)

Date: 2026-09-22 04:20 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] bsgsix
bsgsix: (Default)
Oh, do I get this. You said something I would say - "I see the beauty in the in-between." So I very much agree, whether it's about seasons or change in general.

That sense of preparing for something is really haunting - I feel that. What changes indeed?

I'm on the East Coast, where the seasons are so vivid with change. I've come to favor that period right between spring and summer most, as well as fall and winter - those in-betweens are, somehow, my favorite.

This is very reflective for certain. <3

Date: 2026-09-22 05:02 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] adoptedwriter
adoptedwriter: (Default)
I enjoy fall while the weather is still warm enough but the leaves are more colorful as well.

Date: 2026-09-22 06:13 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] halfshellvenus
halfshellvenus: (Default)
I love Fall, though I also miss it. I live in Sacramento, where things just seasonally die and that's how you know it's Fall. But I remember growing up in Oregon, where the air gets crisp and skies are blue and colored leaves are everywhere. With an October birthday and a love for Halloween, it was always a special time of year to me.

Date: 2026-09-22 08:24 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
pixiebelle: (Default)
I can relate to this. I love autumn now that I live somewhere with a real autumn (I moved from Southern California) but winter often leaves me down. But autumn is lovely.

Date: 2026-09-22 05:45 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] simplyn2deep
simplyn2deep: (Default)
I really loved the idea of autumn as an “in-between,” especially because your relationship with the season has changed so much over time. There’s something poignant about September and October still carrying difficult memories and the possibility of loneliness, while also becoming months you can genuinely appreciate. It doesn’t sound like the difficult associations disappeared—you just made room for beauty alongside them.

And I completely understand missing the actual change of seasons after living somewhere that doesn’t really have it. Sometimes you don’t realize how much those little signals, the crisp air, woodsmoke, changing leaves, matter until they’re gone. I especially liked the idea that autumn feels like the world preparing for something, and maybe you should be preparing too. There’s something hopeful in that final question: not necessarily knowing what’s coming, but being open to finding out. ❤️

Date: 2026-09-22 10:53 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] penpusher
penpusher: (Weather Channel)
There is something magical about being in a place that has 4 proper and distinctly different seasons and it certainly makes all of us feel differently about life... and it makes the same place a very different place with nothing more than temperature, humidity, precipitation, clouds and sun. Nicely captured!

Date: 2026-09-23 06:09 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] poppetawoppet
poppetawoppet: (snuggle)
The only time I lived south ish I don’t remember, I can’t imagine not having four seasons!!

Date: 2026-09-23 10:12 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] ofearthandstars
ofearthandstars: A single tree underneath the stars (Default)
I love living in the in-betweens, but mostly autumn, because spring = worse pollen for me. I think the changing of the seasons, and weather patterns in general, is helpful for reminding me about the transient nature of problems, emotions, joys and sorrows, and allowing me to embrace them more fully when they are present. ♥

Date: 2026-09-24 12:06 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] niquildrvr
niquildrvr: (Default)
This is my favorite time of year with spring running a distant second (I love to see the new growth and blooms, but the pollen wreaks havoc on my sinuses!). I hope that autumn brings you great joy!

Date: 2026-09-24 10:59 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] bleodswean
bleodswean: (Default)
Ooooh, a lovely autumnal equinox musing! Yes, living where the seasons don't noticeably change makes it difficult to feel them change inside!

Date: 2026-09-25 04:09 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] banana_galaxy
banana_galaxy: (Default)
It's interesting discovering what we miss when we end up living without it for some time, isn't it? Given my current transitional period, I can relate.

Profile

dmsj: (Default)
dmsj

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789 101112
13141516171819
20 212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 05:56 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios